Saturday 7 February 2015

Books, Books, and More Books!

It's been a while since my last blog entry. Currently, I'm cuddled under the blankets on the couch at almost a quarter to one in the morning (or at least, when I started writing this I was). I shouldn't be blogging. Tomorrow's a new day with an early start, and I don't get home until late...which therefore, deems blogging at such a late hour crazy! But alas, I'm doing it anyway. I guess it's an attempt to calm the mind.

So, recently I started pushing my reading habit. Over the last two weeks I've read a few books. Two of them being Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas and Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. I've had an eye on these books for a while, encountering them on Goodreads and then looking forward to spending several hours on each, taken to the world both authors created. I had high expectations for both books.

And of course, those expectations crash and burnt.

I found myself expecting something more than I received. In my personal opinion, a story needs both a healthy writing style AND a plot-line that captures its readers intensely. My idea of a perfect book captures several genre's and stays true to each one.

But, I've come to realize something unappealing in the world of literature, or what we produce as literature today. And that's this:

A story contains either a healthy writing style, and a poorly executed plot-line, OR a poor writing style and a well executed plot.

There are a few authors who jump out from this; I believe one to be J.K Rowling, author of the Harry Potter series. I, personally, am not a Harry Potter fan but I had the pleasure of reading some excerpts from a few of her books online. They were amazing! I wanted to read more as I continued to avidly take in the words she wrote. And I'm not a Harry Potter fan!

I believe authors should write like J.K Rowling. We need more combinations of well-executed plots and amazing writing styles. 

But I have a long reading list and I shall post more about the books I read as I read them!

No comments:

Post a Comment